Research Project Management, Business Development, Strategic Planning and Partnerships, Systems Engineering
Project/Program Manager with extensive experience in both industry and academia
- New business development and acquistion (focus in high tech and research): proposal development, review and management, industrial relations and strategic partnerships (federal labs, academic institutions, international), technical marketing, startup and spin-off planning and evaluation, financial analysis/risk management, and business plan development and evaluation;
- Research project management: project planning, development of concepts of operations, collaboration and concensus building, risk assessment and risk management planning including regulation and compliance, test and integration plans, cost assessment-budget development for project life cycle;
- Systems engineering principles and practices: complex system design, architectual development, operational concept definition, process/workflow analysis – improvement and re-engineering, trade study methodologies;
- Strong background in information technology: systems engineering, software development, high performance computing, networks and storage systems, and systems integration and test.
University of Kentucky, Lexington Kentucky
Associate Director, Center for Computational Sciences (CCS), 2016 – Present
- Support the Director of the Center for Computational Science in revitilizing the Center by building a strong community of associated researchers across campus, pursuit of new research infrastructure opportunities (such as the new Kentucky Research Informatics Cloud – KyRIC system) and research partnerships across the university, and development of a new sustainable model for staff support and partnership with UK Information Technology Services;
- Create, organize and conduct the Commonwealth Computational Summit – an annual outreach activity for our regional academic institutions and industries interested in computational science, engineering and data sciences. Recruiting speakers, organizing student poster competition, run workshops and recruite sponsorships from industry;
- Support the NSF Cyberteam – Kentucky Research Computing Initiative across the Commonwealth by working with UofL, EKU, WKU, NKU, Murray State, Ky State and Morehead State Universities in coordination of support for their computational and data science research needs.
Director of Strategic Initiatives, College of Engineering (COE), 2014 – 2019
(was acting Interim Assc. Dean of Enfinerring for Research, COE, 2015)
Provide project management, industrial relations and research development support to the faculty associated with the College of Engineering
- Supported development of strategy and plans for building research relationships between COE and the UKy Medical Center which involved the creation of the new Institute for Biomedical Informatics(IBI); development and submission of multiple multidisciplinary proposals (NSF MRI, NSF Big Data, NIH T15, etc.); participation in Center for Health Services Research advisory committee;
- Supported COE new initiatives in Manufacturing including development of strong relations with the Kentucky Association of Manufacturers (serving as UKy’s Representative) and pursuit of future National Sustainable Manufacturing Institute;
- Support the Associate Dean of Engineering for Reseach in strategy and plans for growing the COE’s research enterprise by analysis of strengths and weakeness and development of focus thrust areas and priorities for support and growth; development of industrial relations research plans and partnerships;
- Support the new Director of the Center for Computational Science in revitilizing the Center for Computational Science by building a strong community of associated researchers across campus, pursuit of new research infrastructure opportunities (creating new Kentucky Research Informatics Cloud system) and partnerships, and development of a new sustainable model for staff support and partnership with UK Information Technology Services.
- Support educational opportunities: Coordinating Life Sciences Entrepreneurship Class for 5 years; taught Engineering Leadership class; have mentored multiple teams in CS 499 senior design projects; support NSF Career Workshop for new faculty.
Rice University, Houston Texas
Research Director ECE, 2010 – 2014
Provide project management, industrial relations and research development support to the Rice Center for Enginerring Leadership (RCEL) and the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Supported development of strategy and plans for RCEL including the Center’s budget and key RCEL new programs and activities such as City of Houston team summer internship program, Engineering Houston’s Future conference, and the new Engineering Liftoff for incoming engineering freshmen.
- Supported ECE new initiative in Mobile Smart Health including development of new industrial (Samsung) and NSF proposals and development of partnerships in the Texas Medical Center (BCM, TCH, UTHSC, etc).
- Supported ECE new initiative in NeuroEngineering with planning and creation of the Center for NeuroEngineering in partnership with the GCC, BCM and UTHSC – including support of the recent NSF IGERT proposal and industrial partnerships with Cyberonics, Medtronics, Tietronix Software and others.
Elam Consulting, Houston Texas
President/Principal, 2009 – 2010
Provide services as an independent consultant in project management, project assessment, and new business development and acquisition
- Supported development of multiple proposals to the federal government for new funding acquistion, including simulation based training and computational bioinformatics;
- Supported major O&G company in advanced training systems, major research university in planning and development of an international partnership for a new joint institute, and a small startup in development of telemedical partnerships and opportunities.
- Current and past customers include Rice University, Baylor College of Medicine, Tietronix Software, ExxonMobil, Advanced Gaming Systems, Waldo Networks and Simprentis.
Baylor College of Medicine (BCM), Houston Texas
Executive Director, Strategic Initiatives, 2007-2009
Led plans for new strategic partnerships and project initiatives such as in Personalized Genomic Medicine
- Worked across the BCM enterprise to create the strategy and plans to address the challenges of personalized genomic medicine which included models for the science, information technology infrastructure, as well as enhanced educational programs;
- Delivered industrial and academic partners willing to invest in, support, and partner with BCM on key projects including personalized health records, advanced analytical and work process systems for clinical research, and access to new technologies. Partners included Google, Microsoft, HP, IBM, NASA JSC, Bio Medical City Korea, and the National Center for Supercomputing Applications;
- Worked with faculty in both basic science and clinical departments to develop opportunities for them for seed grants and partnerships in research and training programs by representing BCM in various external collaborative research groups and organizations including Alliance for NanoHealth, Gulf Coast Consortia, and the Texas-United Kingdom Collaborative;
- Worked with BCM I/T organization for assessment of EMR systems, advised and reviewed technology deployment plans.
Rice University, Houston Texas
Associate Dean of Engineering for Research, 2000-2007
Manage, promote, and develop new research projects and opportunities by working with the engineering faculty
- Managed and doubled the research expenditures of the school of engineering in three years with less than a 10% growth in engineering faculty, promoted new collaboration, reviewed hundreds of proposals;
- Developed workshops and support mechanisms for faculty that led to 6 NSF Career Awards to Engineering faculty in one year (highest win percentage nationally), and 14 Texas ATP grants (highest win percentage in the state);
- Developed (in conjunction with the VP of Research) new policies and practices such as conflict of interest management, definition and criteria for centers and institutes, cost share request process, intellectual property and technology transfer, and indirect cost recovery model;
- Founding member of the Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship Steering Committee, as well as the Rice Patents Committee, helped promote and develop Rice Engineering and Science faculty’s new technology start-ups, and collaborations with industry (specifically supporting information technology assessment).
Executive Director, Computer and Information Technology Institute (CITI), 1996 – 2001
Develop a community of researchers interested in computational science & engineering, and information technology, and greatly expanded the research success through new innovative projects
- Developed and managed a community of collaborative researchers – more than doubled the number of faculty members associated with the institute, expanded the membership of faculty from 4 engineering departments to over a dozen departments across 4 schools (colleges), and created the first shared research computing platform at Rice;
- Increased the number of CITI affiliated research centers from two in 1996 to six in 2000. Tripled the industrial research funding, and during the last two years as Executive Director, we won over 12 major NSF grants, 2 major DARPA grants, 2 major NASA grants, 11 Texas ATP grants, a $2M Intel Equipment Grant, and a $1.6M IBM SUR grant;
- Created an environment for information sharing and innovation exploration through monthly luncheons, workshops, distinguished lecture series, and web presence/community.
IBM Corporation, Multiple Locations
Senior Systems Engineer, Architect and Project Manger, 1977 – 1996
Planned and managed complex systems, engineering, and independent research and development projects
- Managed and led federal complex systems projects for IBM including the DOE Superconducting Super Collider, NASA Earth Observing System Data and Information System, and DOD Joint Training Analysis Simulation System;
- Supported and lead pursuit of multiple major proposals to Government agencies and industry (DOD, DOE, NASA, NIH, Enron, Ford) leading to acquisition of tens of millions of new services contracts;
- Managed IBM Federal Houston’s Independent Research and Development Lab in the Clear Lake facility which included projects covering: Software Engineering, Data Management & Access, HPC Data Systems, and Embedded H/w Systems for Spacecraft;
- Led and managed IBM Internal’s Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing efforts to support new hardcopy devices and deployment of CADAM in all IBM internal development and engineering facilities world-wide;
- Planned and managed the IBM Lexington facility’s Development Engineering Compatibility and Test Laboratory.
Education: B.S. Computer Science – University of Kentucky
w/ graduate credit & over 100 professional conferences/courses.
Awards: 1976 Undergraduate Research & Creativity Award (UKy),
1982 IBM IS&TG Outstanding Contribution Award,
1984 IBM Best New Manager Award,
1988 IBM Federal Systems Outstanding Achievement Award,
1990 IBM Federal Systems Outstanding Achievement Award,
1992 IBM Federal Systems Outstanding Achievement Award,
2003 Rice Board of Trustees Recognition Award.
Affiliations: Member of IEEE,
Member of Commerce Lexington Venture Club/Spark Innovation,
Founding Member of the Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship,
Past Board member for the IEEE Consultants Network-Houston,
Past Board member Rice Global Forum for the Engineering and Construction Industry,
Past Member Houston Technology Center’s I/T and Biotech Advisory Committees,
Past Director of Games in Education, Game Manufacturer’s Association,
Founder of the Houston Serious Games Research Consortium, 250+ individual members from institutions such as Rice, TAMU, UH, UTHSC, TCH, BCM, UT MDACC, HMNS, CMH, HARC and dozens of companies including ExxonMobil, IBM, Microsoft, Hess, Tietronix, Archimage, SAIC, etc.
Additional information and references available upon request.
Government Clearances currently no longer active.